.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Wednesday observations

1. Today I drove into work and as I pulled into the parking lot, I caught a whiff of what smelled like burning rubber. I didn't think much of it other than, "Wow how come I never noticed this area smells like a heap of burning tires?"A few minutes later, when I couldn't find an empty space, I got back onto the street to attempt a parallel park (nailed it!) and again I smelled that burning rubber smell. I looked down and lo, my emergency break was on. Now Mike and I have both lately been leaving the e-brake on for some reason, and as Jen can attest, I've even driven long stretches of road with it on before noticing anything was wrong. So I had visions of me somehow driving on MULTIPLE HIGHWAYS at 80+ MPH with my emergency brake practically smoking while I shrieked along with my new Muse CD, completely unaware of the trauma my car was enduring. I contemplated going to a mechanic to have them assess the damage and the actual monetary value of my stupidity. However, when I got back in the car to run to Kinko's and back WITHOUT the brake on, I noticed the same smell. So, the good news is I probably am only half as dumb as I had originally thought. The bad news is that area around my office smells like a cross between a fat rendering plant and a burning pile of tupperware.("Once you get used to the it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without the smell of burning pig fat")

2. When I started working as a temp, I followed the office dress code to a T. I liked "business casual", mostly because I loved being able to wear cool grown-up clothes (most of which I acquired at Target. Gratuitous Target plug!!!). Trust me, after 24 months in the same pair of maroon velour track pants, the thought of wearing high heels and button down shirts was thrilling. Anyway, I would dress in my cute little outfits, but even then, I seemed to be overdressed for the office. I didn't really care though. And come Friday, I wore jeans like everyone else; I was never told Friday was a casual day, but I figured it was an unspoken thing. But then I saw people coming on Fridays wearing sweatpants and flip flops. Ok, I thought, I guess they have a very progressive stance on "casual". But then come Monday, I saw people in jeans and t-shirts. At first I resisted, but after a few weeks of getting to work late because I spent time ironing a shirt, I started wearing jeans too. At first it was jeans and nice shoes. But eventually I've deteriorated to what I'm wearing today: A dirty pair of jeans and a t-shirt that says "I Love Carbs" with beat up tennis shoes and my hair in pigtails. I look like I should be perusing the aisles of Hot Topic. The shirt I'm wearing also is on the small side and it tends to ride up and expose a little midriff, which I am mortified over. All day I have been yanking my shirt down and slouching so I don't look like the office slut. But just as I began to think I was the loosest dress code follower in the office, I ran into one of the ladies in accounting, who was wearing a pair of spandex running shorts and a tank top. She looked like she was going out for a jog...and she did!! And THEN, after lunch, she came back from her run and proceeded to walk around the office in her RED SPORTS BRA. I was in shock. And awe. She is in great shape, so it wasn't unpleasant, just...jarring. She looked like she should be curling 20's, not picking up a fax and chatting by the water cooler. So I'm pretty sure this Friday I can show up in my bathing suit and no one would bat an eye. If I could figure out a way to set up a slip n slide, I just might do it!


Comments:
I have that I Love Carbs t-shirt too. For me, though, one look at my gut, and anyone can see that I love carbs. I probably don't need to announce it like that. Alas.
 
YES, I noticed you rock the "I love carbs" shirt. Of course, you are blessed with an enormous rack (if you don't mind me saying) so people can actually see what your shirt says. Most of the time people think, "Food pyramid, bo-ring." And the few that do get it just give me the evil eye. I guess it's taboo to admit you eat carbs. C'mon we all do it!!!!! ADMIT IT.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?